Saturday 9 August 2014

Days 151 to 160

Took two weeks for most of the feeling to return and have dutifully abstained from cycling during this period. Instead have been trying to pour my efforts into running. Went out and ran 12 miles. This is 2 laps around the perimeter of the site in which the university stands, about 5 miles. So had to run a couple of miles in the gym prior to heading outside into +25 oC. Took a while but managed to get close to the average speed I was hoping. Then went out quite a few days later to only run a single lap in +30 oC, which nearly finished me. It has taken a long time to recover from that effort.

So I got some initial feedback on Full Professor application. Of course nothing is written down and therefore subject to subtle changes through verbal communication. It appears that I have not been at the university long enough to be considered for this post. Plus it was felt that my research “prowess” should be stronger. I understand that a Full Professor in the UK usually has an amazing CV when at one of the top universities and I had discussed my track towards this end with colleagues and managers at Brighton Uni. So of course I retorted that my position should be that of a Full Professor anyway because my last post was on par with a Full Professor outside the UK. I also was quite aware that if one simply does not want to promote you, they can always say “need more X”. X being papers, citations, funding, PhD students. The criteria for a Full Professor is not exactly objective and really does depend on the field you are working in. Nothing happened in response, which is as expected. Never get to talk to the right people and even then, when their minds are made up there’s no moving them.

Ali went for an MRI scan. The back of her head has been hurting, but only when she pokes it. I came up with a most wise suggestion. It is reassuring that we have access to modern medical technology, though it does take private medical insurance to pay for it. I doubt we’d get this level of treatment back in the UK. I also wonder if only the rich Kazakhs would be able to obtain this service. The results came back and showed everything was as it should be. No obvious complications that might explain the headaches. Other than the continual poking of her head.

There was a mad dash to get a British Council funding application in on time and then onto prepare a whole load of forms for the Equipment Committee meeting. Suddenly they need a lot of information that I cannot see actually helps. Once the item is approved, then one can go for quotes through the tender process. Why they have to have delivery charges, customs charges, users identified, location for installation, connection requirements in the decision making process to approve that the item can go to tender is dumbfounding.

Met a few junior staff during the week interested in applying for PhD program in materials. So at least I may have something to come back for after the summer break. They also had a lot of experience with equipment I want to lecture on, so suddenly can find myself with some guest lecturers, whilst I evaluate their lecturing capability as part of their professional development course. Also got my tentative lecturing load for next year on the undergraduate programme. Not too horrific, but no point in trying to prepare anything until they are confirmed. This will mean a lot of work in the run up to the start of lectures mid-August.

Had to evaluate a tender process for a machine back at Brighton. One I hoped to have during my time there. We had developed the specifications with a local company and if it works, then should have access to the one of the world’s leading XPS. Whether it will be available in time before Gee (my PhD student at Brighton) completes will be a close thing, but hopefully very useful to him.

Had to cancel the conference in South Korea and the beach side hotel. Very disappointed not to visit the island of Jeju, but I could not go under the yoke of the NURIS contract. They tried to persuade me and I refused. I had one of our Engineering team try and persuade me, but had to be equally as firm. They said my refusal would not bring about change. This is true. And maybe will affect any chances of negotiating an extension to a contract should we survive 3 years here. But part of the reason for being here is to show them a better way of running things. If they don’t listen, then my being here is pointless. To that end I’ve become part of the Faculty Senate, which is supposed to be the communication arm of the Faculty for concerns over policies and decisions. The reality is that within any form of power (other than limited voting rights in other Senates) then it is just a voice that can be ignored. At least they do get to hear of developments before anyone else. Whilst this may be seen as gossip, I think it actually helps to brace oneself and limit the impact of shock.

Ali and the children are excited by going home soon. Though their reason for heading home early was because I was supposed to be in South Korea, which now isn’t going to happen. I think a trip to Hardees and a chocolate milkshake is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment