Monday 26 May 2014

Days 121 to 130

My new bike finally arrived! It is gorgeous – as bikes go. Had the longest wait whilst trying to talk to the customs office in Astana. Had the invoice printed out, all other documentation and they took 2 hours to finally tell me that they wanted me to pay €600 import duties. Strange because I could have altered the invoice and gave the bike a lower price and they would be none the wiser. Anyway after getting them to accept payment I then could go and collect. My guide then found us a taxi driver who threw the box into an open boot, wedged the box in and drove back the university. My new pride and joy just waiting to fall off the back of the taxi and under the wheels of the cars behind. I was not happy until I unpacked it.




It took a few days before getting out on it, so I had to wait patiently. And when I did get out for a ride I was not disappointed. Sean lead most of the way to some random spot 30km from the university, then we turned round and headed back to the barn. First bit of cycling for 6 months and didn’t feel too bad. However, went out the next morning on a tour around Astana, but there was more of a head wind, which just eat at my energy. On the way back I thought we were making good progress and then a tyre blew. Had to perform an emergency repair, which is not the easiest with tubular tyres if they are the Continental brand. Thankfully Sean put it all right and managed to limp home. Wondering if I should have stuck with clincher tyres after all. Then the day after, I get a phone call early in the morning from Sean who went out again for a ride, blew a puncture and couldn’t repair it. So I had to get a taxi and a map and get our receptionist to tell my driver to head to one stretch of road and look for a stranded cyclist. We found him and got him back safely. Samaritan job done.

Busy week for work back in Brighton. Had to Skype in to partake in a viva for one of my final year students, but I think it helped her relax somewhat knowing that she had a supporter there. Then had a couple of guys from the UK for an EU project meeting in Astana. Actually this was quite cool for me, as I was able to catch up with the situation and recent developments. But also more work in the pipeline to deal with for other project’s back in Brighton. Hopefully it shows my willing and desire to eventually return. Also meant I got out for a couple of meals and some fancy steak. Though one restaurant booked by one of our female secretaries took us to a place called Alasha, where they had live dancing. But their last dance was belly dancing and it was very funny to watch the rest of the table forget their meals as the dancing girls banged their bottoms against the shoulders of some of guests. I have to find the more incriminating photos of the UK lot.




Was asked to give a talk at a local university to try and recruit students for the tentative PhD program. This was all fine until it finished. One of the NU group went off to the bathroom and didn’t return. We went looking for him and couldn’t find him. I said he’s probably gone home as he speaks Russian and knows his way around. 40 minutes later the secretaries finally locate his mobile phone number and sure enough he was tucked in at home. So then we start waiting for the minibus to pick us up and take us home. I said we should jump in a taxi because it is hot and the driver is having serious problems if he cannot remember where he dropped us off. An hour later the secretaries decide we should get a taxi back to NU. Was not happy when we arrived an hour later. 5 minute talk and several hours of frustration with people who do not listen!

Running is improving slowly. Not sure I had ever run 10km before, but managed it. Took just under 55 minutes, which is not earth shattering speed, but I do not recall having ever run for that long. So a personal achievement and it gives a benchmark to try and improve. But to go from 10km to 42.2km doesn’t seem possible somehow. Just wish they’d fix the air conditioning in the gym; running at 22+oC is rather uncomfortable though did have my family come and cheer me on, for about 10 meters and then they left for chocolate.

Been trying to get the Block 38 manager’s to realise there are a set of problems linked to potentially serious health & safety issues, but currently it’s water off the duck’s back. At least I can demonstrate persistence and will try and educate them to take it seriously, though I hold out no hope of them delivering a solution. I am very thankful that there is no gas piped through to any of the buildings.

Ali and the children have been fine. Think we’ve all been yo-yoing in and out of sickness and various ailments. Still, we have a lot of carbon black on standby. It could just be a placebo, but Rebekah enjoys taking these black pills, and she reckons it makes her feel better. So that’s almost the same thing as it being a panacea. I’m sure these black pills were made by Lily the Pink...

I also think the weekly trip to a Hardees is also helping. Rebekah and Matthias are becoming slightly more adventurous with them trying and liking Chicken Shashlik (essentially a kebab with local seasoning). Matthias is totally hooked on cheeseburgers now. That’s my son. Been trying to get Matthias to control his temper as he has taken to having near major episodes when he is asked to do something he does not like, such as please go and put your sock in the laundry bag – a major effort to tear him away from the iPad or Wii. It took me a while to figure out a solution. Given that Matthias has a keen memory and wont let you forget all the promises Ali and I make, I finally realised to turn that around. So I asked him to think very carefully about how he would talk to us in the future and how he will react when we ask him to do things. He made a promise to not shout and sulk. And now I can remind him that he promised and in an instant he remembers and changes his tone. If only I could have thought of this sooner!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment