Tuesday 21 January 2014

Day 13

It's getting colder!

So the children and I abandoned a trip we planned today to a toddler group (for Kyria to perhaps find a friend!) in order to await the arrival of our boxes. Surprise, surprise... The boxes didn't arrive! Never mind, we had school as usual and stayed in the warm, which was perhaps sensible considering the rapid drop in temperature.

By the time Ray arrived home however we were definitely experiencing a little cabin fever (my shipmates will empathise!) so we all escaped to a local cafe for milkshake. Fortunately the cafe is about a 3 minute walk away & by the time we arrived I could no longer feel my nose & was seriously envying the children's balaclavas!  Milkshake & coffee & some great family time much appreciated though:-)

Ali


Crikey it’s become very busy. Whilst trying to find my feet, I’ve been landed with additional lectures next week in physical chemistry and trying to organise a lab session with no chemical reagents in our school and set problem questions. My Head of Department wants to evaluate my lecturing capabilities at some point in the next month. A number of funding deadlines rapidly approaching, which I need to write proposals for. Just been handed a PhD programme to develop for Advanced Materials Design and Engineering, which needs to be written in two weeks time. I haven’t even met my TAs (we get assistants! Although not sure what they really assist in yet) or my tutees. And I still have a whole load of marking to do. I’ve been drafted in to recruitment interviews for the actual chemistry department this coming week., which could take place at all times because of our remote location with the rest of the world. Meetings with local companies that don’t speak English. Set exam questions for early next month. Ordinarily I would not mind being busy, but I haven’t even been here 2 weeks. It’s never an easy thing this work-life balance. I derive a lot of joy out of interesting science. I just hope I get a chance to do some again real soon. Alas had to sacrifice my evening just trying to clear the back log. Just hope I have enough time to focus of preparing the lectures properly next week.

Was challenged in the lift on the way down to the bus this morning. Some guy in mathematical modelling decided to berate me for giving thermodynamics lectures to chemical engineers given that I am only a chemist. Not having properly woken up at that point and not having any coffee in my system, I was not particularly receptive to such warm overtones. After asking him why he thought that the principles of thermodynamics should suddenly change when going from a chemical reaction to an internal combustion engine, I decided that there was something wrong with this gentleman’s attitude and ignored his rather incredulous defence that engineering wasn’t really science. I told him to consider that his thoughts were exactly the problem in the department when trying to separate chemistry from chemical engineering, but then walked off before he could come up with any more diatribe. Yup, we even get them in Outer Mongolia.

Minus 25 oC is an experience. We really should buy a thermometer. With the wind, the chill factor makes it feel like minus 38 oC (according to wunderground.com). Alas I'm just not interested in venturing outdoors at this time of night.

Ray

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment