Wednesday 29 January 2014

Day 21

Went shopping with 3 children and managed to top up my phone all by myself. Please bear in mind that the only languages for the mobile phone topping up service was Kazakh and Russian! Okay so I did have 2 ladies that did try and help me. One of those didn’t speak any English. Trying to find where the taxi was to pick us up and take us home from Mega Ramstor turned Kyria into floods of tears through the extreme coldness. Despite the 1 mile journey, the 800 tenge (£3.50) was totally worthwhile. Oh, the iPad didn't come out today, which is a miracle with our children.

Ali

Day started off with no lights. No electricity. Matthias was extremely upset that I didn’t wake him for breakfast (great father-son times), but I had to get myself ready by torch light, which was hard enough. But after one email (thank goodness for iPads), the manager in charge of NU residents at Riverside had the workmen organised and everything sorted out by the time I got back home. Guessing it’s all part of the service.

Hyper busy today. Took a good 20 minutes trying to sum it all up for Ali over dinner. I received some student feedback on my lecture via the coordinator of that module. He reported positive things, which is helpful. Pity I didn’t have it in writing to put it on file.

So got lots done during a frantic day. One frustrating matter was having to contact HSBC in Astana to find out what was happening with my account. Found out that they need a letter from NU finance. Wondered when (or if) they were going to contact me to let me know. I am sure someone with a lot more experience of Kazakhstani bureaucracy will laugh at my Westernness.

It might seem an age ago, but December is often accompanied by Nat King Cole’s (or should it be Wells and Tormé’s?) The Christmas Song. Anyway, I met Jack Frost’s ugly cousin. The one they don’t sing about. Jack Hammer was prowling around this evening on my walk to and from the supermarket, ready to take as many pieces of me as he could. Minus 30 oC, with a slight wind, smashed through the many layers. I did purchase a decent pair of skiing gloves and extra inserts and still could feel the wind biting off my finger tips. You simply cannot afford to go out ill prepared and even properly dressed, you don't stay out for long.

Still the trip was worthwhile. Had a major decision to make. Wanted to get some salami. They don’t have any sliced up and packaged, so had to choose from the array of sausages. The final choice came down to one with a picture of a cow on. And the other with a picture of a horse on. Guess which one I finally went for?

Ray

 

1 comment:

  1. Ian and Maureen Cooper30 January 2014 at 03:23

    Glad you are all coping so well, considering the temperature and language! Hope Spring comes for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete