Thursday 30 January 2014

Day 22

Not a day of relaxation. Had to manufacture a nano-based experiment for undergraduate labs, but with half the equipment needed and very limited chemicals. Had several lengthy meetings with staff and students. A number of lectures to prepare for next week. And other projects starting to build up because I cannot clear the current, immediate workload quick enough.

Still, met up with Jason today and had a chat about being foreign in Kazakhstan. He’s studying cultural anthropology and been in Kazakhstan for a couple of years. We also talked about faith and practising in Kazakhstan and some of the approaches to acceptable and unacceptable self-conduct, implications for foreigners and locals, the direction the government is taking. Also about some recent news developments that highlight several concerns. It is difficult to phrase anything in a public setting and the reaction can cause a lot of problems. I’ve said before that it doesn’t seem oppressive, but one wonders whether that is purely for foreigners – though being detained would never be a pleasant experience and they could ask us to leave the country if we are found guilty. There is a polar reaction by the foreigners and subsequent handling of conduct; those that don’t care and continue on and those that lock everything down and wont mention anything via email, SMS, etc. I would like to stay here for a while. I believe I can make a positive contribution in Kazakhstan. So I hope we find the right balance.

Also met up with my sponsor from last year’s trip to Almaty, but he reminded me of a book that we promised to write which now has to be completed this year. So, alas, more work. He also wanted me to come down to Almaty for 2 weeks to give another series of intensive lectures and also meet up with our shared PhD student. Nice to be in demand.

Went out for a meal this evening with my Dean and Vice Dean and Zulkhair Mansurov to an excellent German style restaurant across from CafĂ© Rafe. The food was great as was the company. The mixture of a Kazakhstani, a Ukrainian, a Dutch and a Brit was quite interesting. The evening was only let down by the restaurant organising the taxis back to our respective homes. I was with Alfred (my Dean); we went to Highvill first and then to Riverside. This left me paying the bill. Whilst I was trying to drive the cost down, the fact that the taxi driver didn’t speak English, nor the restaurant confirming the price, paying 3,000 tenge was far too much. All things considered, £12 for a trip across the city at night with the wind chill factor at minus 45 degrees C, I am happy to pay. Had I just insisted that I contact the university and get them to organise it, then this wouldn’t have been a problem. Perhaps that’s the downside of going on the town with full Professors. Plus I will have to pay my share of the meal tomorrow as NU doesn’t allow business entertainment expenses to be reclaimed.
Ali had a long quiet day and is happy that her husband is home and safe. (I think she is too tired to phrase something for the blog. Please stay tuned Ali fans, she'll be back tomorrow!!!)

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment