Friday 4 April 2014

Day 86

Well today was deadline day. After pushing for more information I finally got some from HR. There were assurances given that the old contract benefits would be honored, but in discussing with those that have been here longer, it seems the general feeling is that contract honoring is not guaranteed. I tried to discuss this with my Dean, I said my peace, but there is another set of problems recently developed. In this case it does not affect me. Ali and I have made our choice, but we were able to take the weekend to decide. What amazed me more, though it should not have done, was that in talking calmly and rationally to the HR people and understanding that they are also under pressure and we do appreciate what they are going through, one of them said thank you for understanding, but I was one of the very few members of staff who do. These are contentious issues, but I can only imagine the ire that some staff have vented towards HR. This is understandable but it is also unhelpful. Some members of staff were only told late last night that they had to sign today, making it very difficult to communicate with partners back home.

The falling marble tile story is now circulated throughout the whole of NU. Curiously it hasn't been embellished, the general size of the piece of tile hasn't grown out of proportion. It's almost a shame fo rthe sake of turning legend.

We also went for a viewing of another apartment within Block 38. It would have been similar to the one we were supposed to have had in Block 39 (which is not online yet). So slightly bigger space, better laid out. The kitchen is the same size, but by having a table brought in, it does not impact the rest of the available living area space. So we are hopeful this would be a useful trade up. It also provides a better distribution of space amongst the bedrooms and the en suite also has a bath rather than a shower.

Was contacted by our letting agents today. Our tenants found ants in the bedroom (1st floor). Thankfully are contract is proactive and the job was sorted out straight away, so hopefully keeping the tenants happy.

The children had a great time entertaining friends. I also managed to solve the current level Matthias was stuck on for Harry Potter on the Wii. So I am now officially a super cool Dad. I wont tell him I had to look it up on the internet!

I am awaiting confirmation from Planet X that my bike has been built and dispatched. My work colleague is keen to have a cycling buddy. Or it could be a shield to save himself from the drivers... well he's heading out solo for the next few weeks, so we should see how safe the roads are.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment