Saturday 12 April 2014

Day 94

A trip to the HSBC was somewhat over shadowed by them not being open, so had to go the Khan Shatyr to make up for it. We also bought our water filter jug from there and needed some replacement cartridges, but they didn't sell any. So we bought a new water filter jug and 5 replacement cartridges and hoping that there will be more available in 6 months time. The adage of buying it all when you see it still rules. Naturally the children are also wanting to exercise this rule for all the toys they see.

Whilst the children were distracted with cheeseburgers, Ali and I got talking about home schooling in the UK. There still seems to be a bit of a stigma to families that home school, whereas most other places it is perfectly normal and there are funds to support it. I wondered if you can opt out of schools from your Council Tax bill and put the £1.50 per month saving towards a few pencils? The concept of home schooling is alien to me. My parents put me into schools and I did the same to my children when they were of age. Apart from it "being the done thing", what are the reasons for doing so? I don't have many fond memories of school, but perhaps I have forgotten some of the good and the bad. I do remember a lot of apprehension and desire to abscond. But did meet some excellent people who have remained good friends 25+ years later (Doug, Steve...). I guess for my parents, Sandy and I being in school allowed them to continue in the rat race of trying to make ends meet. And I didn't fair too badly when I put my mind to it.

Home schooling does seem like an attractive adventure and it is not time or country dependant. So apart from the social aspect of it, and Ali's desire to spend time in Costa or Starbucks with a good book and not being interrupted by children, it is difficult to know if we will put our children back into school when we return to the UK. We know the merits of the British education system. Yet Ali is a qualified teacher and the children (appear to) respond well to their new school, so we can establish a tailored curriculum on a 3-to-1 learning basis. I am sure I can do science experiments with them. So GCSEs should not be a problem. Rebekah wants to be a teacher, Matthias a pilot and Kyria, well Kyria is just happy making everyone laugh. So motivation for learning is there. I wonder whether Ali is ready to relinquish her dreams of relaxing Starbucks every weekday mornings?

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment