Thursday 17 April 2014

Day 99

Our new view
Almost there. Just one more day and I'm done. The weekend that is and not the 100th post.

Was in a lot of back-to-back meetings today. Was able to confront my Head of Discipline on a few issues. Also raised a whole load more with the Provost. I think I kept my tongue under diplomatic control, so I probably keep my job a little longer. Plus I got an evaluation score back today via the US; the university uses Oak Ridge Associated Universities to evaluate all internal proposals and I scored above the funding threshold. So I should be in line to get my first project up and running here. Just waiting on the second result to come through and a few others I've been involved with.

We received the report from the investigation of the piece of marble nearly hitting our kids. It turns out that it was not from an external tile broken away, but from inside the building on the 9th floor and was thrown by person(s) unknown. It also transpires that the supervisor dealing with building/construction work was not present either. So the university has taken a very strong stance against the construction company and demanded that they identify those responsible in order to hold them to account. We keep reminding ourselves that thankfully this careless discarding of masonry out of the 9th floor did not end up with anything serious happening.
No leaf unpolished

Just got to survive to the end of a student's academic misconduct hearing tomorrow and I'm free to relax over the Easter weekend. Must plan a treasure hunt for the kids. And hope the cleaning staff don't remove any items. They are thorough.
 
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment