Thursday 10 April 2014

Day 92

Caught a student cheating in an exam. Removed the test papers of two students after they continued to talk, one whom proceeded to argue with the module coordinator whilst the exam continued around them. Faculty undermining faculty. And through it all I try to be conscientious and remain consistent to my ideals; expecting others to do the same is a different question. I sometime wonder why I am here, what changes I can really make. At present I am probably the 2nd year engineers least favourite member of staff, but that does not bother me. Like raising children, you have to follow through on your threats otherwise they have no respect for you. Dealing with students in Kazakhstan, exactly the same. But I guess that when it comes to my turn to lecture, they are unlikely to step out of line.

And just to add to the exasperating day, I found out that under the application of Kazakhstani finance law, when I seek reimbursement for the registration fees for a conference it is considered employment income and I have to pay tax on that claim. In my contract I am actually required to disseminate results at high level conferences. So in order to fulfil my contract I have to pay out of my own pocket! Could you imagine what that would be like in the UK?

Went out with Doug this evening for a few beers and was good to get to know him and his background. He's been here for 4 years, leaving his wife back in the States. Amazing strength of character and obviously a very solid marriage. Not sure what it is with knowing Dougs who happen to be Northward of 6 ft 6. No wonder I've got neck pains by just trying to look them in the face.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment