Wednesday 9 April 2014

Day 91

The countdown continues towards weekly rather than daily updates. The days are getting longer and busier and the pace of our integration to life over here has been remarkably easy, despite the difficulties along the way. So in reporting back the comparisons between life here and there, I feel that we have experienced the majority of issues related to culture shock and tried to relay them as best as we could in the hope that it would be of assistance. If there is anyone wanting a fuller description of working at NU then you'd better contact me directly.

In the whole settling issue it is perhaps unfair to say that there was culture shock, given that we have been quite protected during our orientation and the first few months. Though still working hard to make friends for the children and finding Ali a coffee drinking buddy, I think we could potentially cope with coming back to the UK for a holiday and still return to Kazakhstan for work. I just need the correct incentives for the rest of my family though!

Feeling the strain of not being able to conduct any research and only influence what is happening back in Brighton with my PhD student(s). At least the ideas are developing and hopefully one day I'll be able to get back in the lab. I'm still challenged with the thought of where would I go if I could have free reign, in order to conduct my research. But these are only idle thoughts, which Les and Sue will be pleased to hear. Unless they wanted to go to America, Scandinavia or Australia? I'll throw in a Don Williams CD and a Spurs T-shirt...

For all you fans out there, Matthias is now into year 4 on the Harry Potter Wii game, helped by yours truly. So I must remember to pick up the rest of the saga and Lego Star Wars for the Wii when back in the UK. I think the girls must despair.

Ray

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    A very detailed starter live at UN. Especially for someone like me who is recently got shortlisted for NU interviews in London. I've been reading every were about this. Still am not sure is it worth it for a family with 4 girls from Sydney or not. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I advise you to go through the Nazarbayev University posts on the Chronicles of Higher Education. If you have questions, email them to me. There are lots of issues at NU, but equally there's lots going on. If you come with the right attitude then you'll survive quite happily.

      Delete