Monday 3 March 2014

Day 54

Highly frustrating day, being at the mercy of Kazakhstani bureaucracy as applied to the university. For some reason, being involved in the procurement discussions and supporting the existing faculty staff member tasked with ensuring that our faculty gets what it needs, it turns out that because I am not officially appointed to this process, therefore I am not allowed to be contacted about this process. So not only can I not get items actioned and prepared for inclusion on the budget lists, I can only watch as the procurement staff make a series of blunders by trying to include over £1m of equipment that has already been ordered. No doubt this is all part of NU’s strategy and a legacy of finding jobs for people, which I approve, but not at the expense of pushing unqualified people into prominent / vital positions. What is more frustrating is to see shrugs of the shoulders of some management too when they are advised that the current system does not work.

I think I need another month or two to get fully acquainted with the state of play and either give up and go home, or bury myself in areas that I can make a difference – I’m not yet sure where that will be. It is frustrating also to recall what a few senior managers at Brighton said before I left. Namely that coming here is a mistake in my academic career. Naturally I see that as a challenge and dare to prove them wrong. But lurking in the back of my mind, I sense that they are (on some level) correct.

But thankfully life is more than just the job. Work to live and don’t let anyone try and drag you down!

We are also faced with an interesting unknown. The chances of anything happening here are extremely remote. I am sure many have been following events in Crimea. What I read today was that not only is Ukraine a focal point of the Budapest Memorandums on Security Assurances (1994), but Kazakhstan was also in there. Only these memorandums never stipulated what should happen if the events like those of the Crimea happened. The tenge is somewhat tied to economic relations with Russia and Russia has a vested interest in several parts of Kazakhstan (e.g. Baikonur). Over half the population of Kazakhstan speak Russian, but I think there are only few who want to see the Триколор flying in Kazakhstani streets. Still if USA lead the world with economic sanctions and freezing of assets of Russia, the shock waves will be felt in Astana.

On the plus side, I got to come home to my family who were waiting with cuddles and kisses. Much needed.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment