Thursday 13 March 2014

Day 64

The packing is going slowly. At least we are not having to sort as well as pack and pretty much everything must come with us. Had no response from the move organiser. Seems like they do not have any power to make decisions and probably cannot or dare not to send our complaints up the rungs to people who can do something about it. It makes me feel like I am part of a cattle herd, being slightly more revered as I am a foreigner, but essentially being rounded up and forced along the pathway of their choosing, irrespective of what I think or feel. At some point they'll attempt to brand me; hope they have a decent logo.

I believe this is the first time I have felt that my employers really do not care, which is hard to take. All others at least gave the semblance of considering us little people, but there appears to be none of that here. The balance of power is top heavy and the separation between the Dean’s level and above and us lower lifes is growing. This I directly attribute to old Soviet mentality still entrenched in Kazakhstani management laid over a framework of policies that must accommodate anyone requiring employment and can only operate at the generosity of the handouts and direction from above. Why have I not handed my notice in and moved back to the UK? Well, despite the politics and incompetence that dogs my heels, it is only once in a while that I feel this challenged and I still have to find my mojo since moving to Astana. Plus the Kazakhstanis are a friendly bunch (all except that one guy with a tray. I got your number Matthew and that is 5:44).

Went out with family for an English breakfast this morning. That was quite an experience. Had bacon, which I haven’t seen since getting here. But one had to use a microscope to see it. Also had beans in tomato sauce, but they were more like kidney beans. The sausage was a hot dog and they even found a smoky brown sauce. Not quite a full English breakfast but closer than I’ve got to one since last year. A great effort for the Kazakhstanis. I do applaud you. I suppose at least last year we could have offered something a little more Kazakhstani-like with a our new range of horse foodstuffs.
 
We also found that we could get from our apartment to this diner without leaving our building. Now that we are moving on Saturday, Ali is gutted she hadn’t realised this earlier.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment