Tuesday 11 March 2014

Day 62

Ali is suffering from a cold and decided to stay indoors today. The sun was out and melting snow, so perhaps Astana will transform from white to full colour over the coming week. Alas it wont be fully melted by the time we move from Riverside to Block 38 (on campus). It is a shame the NU managers are not more creative; why call a new set of apartments for foreign academics a “block”. Unless they really don’t want us here and are trying to make us uncomfortable. I would not be surprised if there is a button somewhere that makes all the walls move closer together. I can hear myself shouting “C3PO, where are you? Come in 3PO”.

So we have to get everything packed up and ready to move at 10:20 Saturday 15th March. Decided it is best I work from home and start the process slowly over the next few days. Will certainly need a few cheeseburgers to help the process.

Called into see my manager today. He wanted to go through the dilemmas of teaching chemistry and that I was going to coordinate this module and the negotiations with the actual chemistry department was still ongoing. Knowing full well that the head of chemistry doesn’t really want to do this anyway. Plus it also means that I get to try and negotiate with a colleague who doesn’t get on with our manager. Oh joy. So starting from a really poor position, I guess this is doomed to failure.

Anyway, been dreaming of nice road bikes and wondering how well the locals treat road cyclists. Most cars do double up as a makeshift taxi and dive to the side of the road without much care. But outside the city I am guessing it is much quieter. But equally no help if something goes wrong with a bike and no chance of Ali coming to rescue me (as she has done twice in the UK). Might have to invest in satellite tracking, just in case I take a wrong turn and end up in Russia. No officer, I did not pack my passport and no I do not have any money to bribe you with. Nibble of an energy bar?

Ray

 

No comments:

Post a Comment