Thursday 20 March 2014

Day 71

So it looks like my youngest children and I are due for a chat. Just settled to write a blog entry and noticed that my wallet was open on the desk. On closer inspection it is missing all the coins and the credit cards, but not any notes. A quick search has failed to turn them up and they are all asleep. So will have to rely on them remembering where they put them when I see them at breakfast. It is a sign of things to come. When the notes go missing I'll know that time has arrived. Or Ali has run short again.

Heading into Nauryz, locals are getting excited. I received a carving of a dombra for going into the coffee shop. This evening we received our second internet delivery and it was the first time of ordering a whole chicken. Had been a lot reluctant until now. So unpacking the chickens, both were in the same bag and some lump of unidentifiable product in a smaller bag. Ali looked horrified and I thought it was giblets, wrapped them up in a bag and put them outside. About 2 hours later I decided to double check the list of items we ordered. Turns out we were missing beef steak...

Had lunch today with my wonderful family at work. Though it is slowly thawing outside, the wind has picked up and nearly blew them away. So much for living closer to work. It is safer to get the coach right up to the front door of the uni. Still they braved it in and back again and I like the fact that everyone looks at us. I am slowly training my children to stick their tongues out at people when Ali isn't looking. I don't think she has yet caught on.

I am properly in training for fitness and regaining my youthful vigour. Plus I ordered my new bike today. My hope is that Kazakhstani customs will leave it alone. And that we stay in Kazakhstan so I can use it. There is a chance my Dean will let me go to another country to get some research done. But perhaps I can take one less child and keep the bike instead?

With the holiday tomorrow a few staff have flown the coup. When trying to find out what is there in the local area around Astana, searches have drawn up a big blank. A 4 hour car drive will get us to some destination of interest, but the journey is not favoured by children. Would be much easier to fly somewhere instead.

Nauryz kutti bolsin!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment