Sunday 23 March 2014

Day 74

Such a lazy day. Spent most of the morning in pyjamas milling about doing almost nothing, which seemed to be exactly what we needed. I was even fortunate enough to get catnap in too before heading off for Sunday afternoon get together with the flock. The taxi ride past a few sites of Astana showed a certain after party feel, but when the party took place I am not exactly sure. Seems that they have packed up and moved on.

I believe spending time here for holidays is going to be tough. There is not a lot to do and not a lot in the surrounding area, which I believe I mentioned before. Plus NU's policy for holidays is perhaps understandable but disagreeable. So I will have to take a limited amount of time off work during Summer and then the rest at Christmas, as there is no chance anymore of carrying days over into a New Year and you get nothing for not taking them.

My educated guess is that Kazakhstanis are family and friend orientated, by and large and so spending time on holidays or simply days off are time to spend with others. All fine by me, except that the majority of my family and friends are still in the UK. I also see that NU policy has been developed in response to some curious events that happened near NU's inception, but rather than deal with the problem individuals, they have come up with more ingenious ways of trying to ensure it could never happen again.

Thankfully the security have relented a little over allowing taxis onsite, but not sure for how much longer. They are staffing all exits and entrances and give you the "Soviet Stare". If I didn't look non-Kazakh enough, I also wet-shaved my head. Easier than getting my staff card out! Slight concern will be trying to get off and on site when I get my bike. I don't think the barriers are tall enough to duck under and alas are long enough so that I cannot go right down the centre. Need a creative workaround.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment